Wednesday, January 13, 2010

We need help with bird identification.

Wednesday January 13, 2009
We have several types of humming birds around our yard and it has been very difficult to identify them because I don't have a bird book with me. The one pictured below I think is called the Broad-billed hummingbird. And then the next picture I am not sure, but it is some type of warbler. If anyone has a bird book they can look these two up for me, that would be great! Too bad I forgot to bring my book. These two birds are very amusing to watch as they fight for control of the feeder. The little hummer will also stand up to bigger birds, many the size of a robin.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure about the hummingbird. I think it's either a Broad-billed or a Magnificent.

The warbler looks very much like a Nashville Warbler, which can be found in the Kootenay region of BC, and in the transition zone from boreal forest to aspen parkland from SK east to the Atlantic (for some reason it doesn't frequent AB). It spends its summers in the north and migrates to Mexico for the winter. This bird has likely travelled a very long ways!

Brenda :)

margie said...

Or a MacGillivray's warbler female. nice pictures Kathy